Re: [fluid-dev] OSC support

From: Rui Nuno Capela
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] OSC support
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2012 09:39:00 +0100

On 07/09/2012 06:16 AM, Ebrahim Mayat wrote:

On Jul 09, 2012, at 12:34 AM, Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas
<address@hidden> wrote:

> Once again, do you know of any sequencer applications that use
"qmidinet"
> ?

Qmidinet is a gateway between the network and native MIDI applications
for
Linux (ALSA and Jack). Any Linux sequencer using ALSA sequencer or
Jack can
be used. Qtractor, for instance.

Off the top of my head, I can tell you: Reaper, Renoise, Ardour use OSC
in addition to MIDI. Even a language like Pure Date has OSC and MIDI
objects. (I am not even mentioning the commercial OS X and Windows
applications that do the same.) In other words, OSC has been broadly
adopted. With all due respect to Rui, the "midinet "gateway" is still in
its early stages and not adopted and implemented by other third parties.

IMO renoise, reaper and ardour do indeed have OSC support but are for control functions mostly, last time i checked. those functions may be an alternative to MIDI controllers but the point here is that OSC is not there as a substitute to MIDI sequencing and/or performance, although one can argue that control automation might get there somehow i suspect OSC is not the sequencing data format on those applications which is MIDI.

re. qmidinet network gateway: it is completely independent of client application implementations;

data being conveyed through the network is pure raw MIDI data so that ALL applications that send or receive plain MIDI data are eligible to work seamlessly as long they interface with JACK MIDI and/or ALSA MIDI;

note that qmidinet just functions as an ALSA MIDI and/or JACK MIDI client; no one has to change a bit on his/her MIDI application to work with qmidinet; it is actually plug-and-play :)

cheers
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela
address@hidden