Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] facism gaining ground in US

From: Jani Monoses
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] facism gaining ground in US
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 10:19:53 +0300

>   For instance, if it had been Saddam instead of Osama, we would have
> just started bombing Iraq continuously. We wouldn't have targeted
> civilian areas, we wouldn't have needed to, just the palaces would have
> kept us busy. Would that have been proportionate? Probably not. Anger
> isn't rational.

It's one thing for a small group of fanatics to be angry and irrational, and
another for a whole country and a government to be like that. And the US is
the last country we should want to be angry and irrational. So that "nuking
them is OK" ( even a fun thing to watch between Friends and the Tonight
show) attitude really sucks, because it shows how much people are disconnected
from reality and I am not only talking about USians but most others who get
(probably unconsciously) many of their daily thrills and satisfactions by
seeing others 'getting it'. Criminals being busted by the police, or
celebrities dying of overdose or getting fat, or faraway cities blown to
pieces. That makes life feel so much better even if it's mostly boring work
and watching TV.
So it really is a problem when a government exploits the frustrations of the
majority of people, and uses them as justifications for the bad things it
does.