Re: When can we expect a version 1.0 of the GNU Operating System?

From: Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro
Subject: Re: When can we expect a version 1.0 of the GNU Operating System?
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 01:36:33 -0200

Em Thu, 20 Nov 2014 10:42:00 -0500
Felipe López <address@hidden> escreveu:

> I know that the future is uncertain, but I'd like to know what is
> holding the GNU developers back from releasing the first version of
> the GNU Operating System.

I know that's ironic and sad, but it's, guess what: RMS.

> I would like to go to gnu.org, click on the big download button, and
> get a copy of the GNU Operating System version 1.0 (not a copy of an
> ABC GNU/Linux-libre distribution that is based upon a non-free XYZ
> GNU/Linux distribution that is based on some components of the GNU
> system).

I know, exactly, how it feels... I've been desiring the very same thing
for years... I don't insist on the version numbering, though.  GNU 0.1
would be way better than pseudo-GNU 7.0.

> [...] the name of this distribution is GNU Guix (the same name of
> the package manager).

No, it's not.  Some people, however, have errouneously called it that
way.  Apart from the Guix's logo, that is the most remarkable
reminiscent of that harmful practice, it's *not* common to come across
that incorrect usage anymore.  The web page and the documentation seem
to have been fixed; the Savannah and Free Software Directory web pages
being other notable exception.

Other people like Karl, Josh, and even RMS himself, have been calling
it "the Guix distribution".  I think they are ingenuously using it as an
abbreviation for "the distribution the Guix team is working on".  I've
tried to correct them, though.

Please, report the incorrect usage of the term "Guix" if you happen to
come across them.

> If Guix is the GNU package manager and integrates the components of
> GNU, why can't the resulting distribution be called The GNU
> Operating System (or GNU, for short)?

Hopefully it will.  As soon as RMS convinces himself that it should be
called that way.  Until then, we can only state the facts: "it's *a*
GNU project's distribution of the GNU system", or simply "a GNU of
GNU". ;-)

--
 ,= ,-_-. =.  Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro (oitofelix) [0x28D618AF]
((_/)o o(\_)) There is no system but GNU;