Re: When can we expect a version 1.0 of the GNU Operating System?

From: Tobias Platen
Subject: Re: When can we expect a version 1.0 of the GNU Operating System?
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 14:31:18 +0100

On 11/24/2014 12:29 AM, Richard Stallman wrote:
> [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider
> ]]] [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,
> ]]] [[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's
> example. ]]]
>
>> Why would you need to discard the GNU Hurd if you declare GNU
>> Linux-libre one of the kernels of the GNU system?  Why you can't
>> officially acknowledge GNU as an operating system of multiple
>> kernels?
>
> We can and we do -- but that is incompatible with releasing a
> GNU/Linux distro and calling that, and only that, "the GNU
> system".

There are many different variants of the GNU system. Most of them use
the Linux kernel, even GNUmach uses Linux drivers. But in 1990 there
was only one variant of the GNU system, and it was incomplete as it
lacked a usable kernel. There was also a third GNU variant that used
both the mach microkernel and the linux kernel: GNU/mklinux. The did
not use the GNU mach kernel, but the OSF mach kernel. There was also
an attempt to port the GNU/HURD to the OFS mach kernel, which ran on
the powerpc architecture.

Tobias Platen