Re: When can we expect a version 1.0 of the GNU Operating System?

From: Felipe López
Subject: Re: When can we expect a version 1.0 of the GNU Operating System?
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 08:09:57 -0500

On 24/11/14 00:13, Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro wrote:
> Em Sun, 23 Nov 2014 18:29:26 -0500
> Richard Stallman <address@hidden> escreveu:
>
>>   > Why would you need to discard the GNU Hurd if you declare GNU
>>   > Linux-libre one of the kernels of the GNU system?  Why you can't
>>   > officially acknowledge GNU as an operating system of multiple
>>   > kernels?
>>
>> We can and we do -- but that is incompatible with releasing a
>> GNU/Linux distro and calling that, and only that, "the GNU system".
>
> Incompatible?  So how are we supposed to release "the GNU system" if
> no distribution could be called that way?  Are you implying that only
> Hurd-based GNU systems deserve the label?
>
> It's reasonable to say that it's not worthwhile to release a
> Hurd-based GNU system for the foreseeable future.  Therefore, won't
> the GNU project release "the GNU system"?
>
> If that's so, I have to say that's a sad prospect.
>
> If GNU is a system of multiple kernels, *every* GNU project's
> distribution of the GNU system, be it Linux-libre, Hurd or a third GNU
> kernel based, deserves to be called "the GNU system".  Technicalities
> that differ them are for tech-savvy people, not the common public.

I agree with Bruno.

I don't see any problem, for example, on having a download page with:

* GNU (kernel: hurd)
* GNU (kernel: linux-libre)
* GNU (kernel: xyz)
* Or go to the list of other free system distributions

And, since the GNU system will be available with multiple kernels, one
of the downloads should be the recommended one for newcomers.

--
Luis Felipe López Acevedo
http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/

ID Klefo PGP  : 0x8A296B99
Marko fingrala: 7ED8 4963 C881 647C 9DA0 FDE6 881B 91ED 8A29 6B99