openvortex-dev

Re: [Openvortex-dev] CVS updated. Lets your kernels crash :)

From: Manuel Jander
Subject: Re: [Openvortex-dev] CVS updated. Lets your kernels crash :)
Date: 08 Aug 2003 18:54:26 -0400

Hi folks,

I forgot (again) to say, that i added generic 4 speaker support. Well,
this has not to be like this in a definite way, but at least it works on
the MX300.

The 4 speaker routing in the current CVS driver is done in the ADB
mixer. That means that if the codec support 4 channels, a stereo stream
is split up into a quad stream and feed into the 4 channel codec. If the
PCM audio is mono, its also split up into 4 streams. If it is a quad PCM
stream, well, each channel is just fed into its codec channel.

The previous driver did the stereo to quad expansion on the codec. This
solution is better in my opinion, because it supports other analog
sources too (like CDROm audio), but unfortunately it doesnt seme to
work. The binary driver uses the former alternative, but i would prefer
the latter if its posible to make it work consistently.

Best Regards

Manuel Jander