openvortex-dev

Re: [Openvortex-dev] CVS updated. Lets your kernels crash :)

From: Ryan Underwood
Subject: Re: [Openvortex-dev] CVS updated. Lets your kernels crash :)
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 23:33:14 -0500

Hi Manuel,

On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 06:54:26PM -0400, Manuel Jander wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I forgot (again) to say, that i added generic 4 speaker support. Well,
> this has not to be like this in a definite way, but at least it works on
> the MX300.
>
> The 4 speaker routing in the current CVS driver is done in the ADB
> mixer. That means that if the codec support 4 channels, a stereo stream
> is split up into a quad stream and feed into the 4 channel codec. If the
> PCM audio is mono, its also split up into 4 streams. If it is a quad PCM
> stream, well, each channel is just fed into its codec channel.
>
> The previous driver did the stereo to quad expansion on the codec. This
> solution is better in my opinion, because it supports other analog
> sources too (like CDROm audio), but unfortunately it doesnt seme to
> work. The binary driver uses the former alternative, but i would prefer
> the latter if its posible to make it work consistently.

It does work, on my SQ2500.  The MX300 must be wired differently so that
the AC97 stereo->4spk doesn't work in that case.  Of course sending the
streams to both the front and rear engines will work in all cases but
that can be more work for the vortex chip.

Both solutions work fine, so it would be a good idea to just make
both of them available so that people whose cards work with either one
can choose the one they want.  But, make sure not to enable them at the
same time, the sound is terrible. (on SQ2500)

--
Ryan Underwood, <nemesis at icequake.net>, icq=10317253