pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Pan version number from CVS sources?

From: walt
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Pan version number from CVS sources?
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 16:43:44 -0700

Duncan wrote:
> walter s posted
> <address@hidden>, excerpted
> below,  on Fri, 28 Apr 2006 11:17:00 -0700:
>
>> I'm running my own build of Pan from CVS sources.  The version number I
>> see is 0.14.90, which is not the same as the recent 0.94 I've been reading
>> about in this list.
>>
>> Am I really running the latest?
>
> I'm not familiar with the CVS checkout, but I was browsing the 0.94
> tarball the other day and noticed it still had 0.14.90 listed somewhere or
> other.  That wouldn't be up2date even for 0.14.x however, as I'm running
> 0.14.91, the latest "beta" from that series.
>
> Is the code (or compile, if you aren't a code freak) C or C++ based?  If
> C, it's definitely the old code.  If C++, it's definitely the new code, at
> least 0.90.

Well, now that I've done some investigation I'm more confused than ever.

I've compiled the 0.94 beta, which is an oddly abbreviated version with
new support for nzb files, but no ability to switch between news servers
(although I can define as many servers as I want).  Very peculiar.

The cutesy names for the various versions don't seem to match up between
Changelogs, website, mailing list, and CVS repository -- so I'm inclined
to conclude that there are several development teams working on pan
independently.

If I'm wrong, please correct me!  I'd like to understand and keep up.