pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Re: Pan version number from CVS sources?

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Re: Pan version number from CVS sources?
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 23:54:08 -0500 (CDT)

> Okay, I'll experiment with it.  Question for Charles [or anyone]:  how
> does Pan allocate the jobs between servers; and can the mechanism be
> specified by the user?  Example:  I would want the bulk of downloads
> to come from any servers which don't charge by usage (usually my own
> ISP) and any backup fills from the more expensive servers.  This strikes
> me as a non-trivial task.  I wonder how the Windows-based downloaders
> solve this problem (I don't use Windows so I've never tried them.)

0.90 through 0.94 allocate them via whatever server connection
is on hand in the server pool, so the fastest servers get the
lion's share.

0.95 (due tomorrow) has a new option in the Edit Server dialog
where you can designate a server as a primary or backup, so that
the free servers can all try first, then the pay servers can fill
in any missing pieces.

(side note for Duncan: though it's not in the GUI, you can specify
more than two tiers of server by changing the 'rank' attribute in
servers.xml from [1..2] to [1..INT_MAX])

cheers,
Charles