Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Usefull addons ?

From: Michael Dean
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Usefull addons ?
Date: 31 Dec 2001 13:48:24 -0600

E-mail submission isn't meant to replace your support page, but provide
another avenue to receive help requests from customers.  This is what
DCL does with e-mail submissions to make the data somewhat sane:

1.  Special email aliases are created for support (i.e.,
address@hidden)
2.  MTA receives email at special address, pipes it to gateway script
3.  Script checks to see if dcl is a valid product (query for product
short description.  If not, kicks out an error which in turn sends email
back to originator.
4.  Ticket is assigned to the lead for that product.
5.  Defaults (based on configuration settings) are applied to account,
priority, and severity.  Account will be a possible auto-lookup in the
future when the new contact management feature of DCL is done.
6.  Subject is copied to Summary
7.  E-mail attachments are separated from body text
8.  Remaining e-mail body (minus attachments) is set as ticket issue.
9.  Ticket is created, watch notifications are sent (if any)
10. E-mail attachments are attached to the ticket

I'm not arguing that the data is completely clean, but with several
users requesting this feature (some using it as a tie-breaking item), it
is not something you want to dismiss so easily.

Mike