Re: Intall on Red Hat Linux

From: Paul E. Johnson
Subject: Re: Intall on Red Hat Linux
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 10:03:35 -0500

"Jares, Timothy" wrote:

> Hey folks -
>
> I'm sure someone has had a similar problem before, but I can't seem to find
> it in Paul's FAQs or on the Swarm web-site.  I just got a brand new PC and
> with all the new power, I'm trying to port my old stuff.  I have a fresh
> Linux Red Hat install (6.0 I think) and just downloaded the 2.0.1 version of
> Swarm.  I'm not a fluent Linux person, but can at least limp around, so any
> help would be greatly appreciated.

In the FAQ, since last week, there is a "installing Swarm2.0" section
that will clear some of this up.

On your system, the "defaultdir" has to be specified as /usr, because
there is where all the stuff is currently installed.  If you want to
change where you install it, you change the prefix.  You need to specify
the jdkdir and install jikes to compile.

 JAR=/usr/local/jdk1.2/bin/jar  JAVAC=jikes ./configure
--with-defaultdir=/usr
  --disable-static --prefix=/usr/local --with-jdkdir=/usr

If you don't have the JAR program installed somewhere, you need to add
another configure option, I think it is --disable-jar. This will install
swarm includes and libes directly into /usr/local/include and
/usr/local/lib. If you want the swarm subdir under that, add the option
--enable-subdirs.

Alex made RPMS, you can get them on the sfi ftp site.  I'm going to make
RPMS for i586 and i686 architectures that support either kaffe and the
blackdown JDK.

--
Paul E. Johnson                         email: address@hidden
Dept. of Political Science              http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn