RE: Intall on Red Hat Linux

From: Jares, Timothy
Subject: RE: Intall on Red Hat Linux
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 11:54:58 -0400

Paul, thanks for the help.  However, I still seem to be stuck.  Let me try a
few basic questions that might simplify this.  At this point, I just want to
get my old stuff working on the new system.  Thus, I don't really care if I
have Java support right now.  Can I, with minimal porting changes, take my
old simulation and port to 2.0.1 without using Java?  I think from what I've
read the answer is yes and I do that with the -disable-jar switch on the
configure.  I'm assuming that later, when I want to get into the java stuff,
I can add support at that time - probably along with a swarm upgrade.

Next, in your FAQ you refer to installing swarm in an "out of the way place"
like /usr/local/swarm - mine is /usr/local/swarm-2.0.1.  Is there an
"easier" place to put it?

I tried './configure -with-defaultdir=/usr -disable-jar' and also added
-enable-subdirs as you suggested.  Nevertheless, I still get

*** No rule to make target '../defobj/types.h', needed by 'Array.lo'.

as an error.  In doing some digging, the '../defobj/types.h' is in the
collections Makefile as a result of being in the Makefile.in - I think.  Is
there some configure setting that will result in an update of the
Makefile.in?  Or, if I place the swarm source in an "easier" place can I
avoid this problem?

Thanks again for the help!

Timothy E. Jares, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Finance