RE: Intall on Red Hat Linux

From: jalex
Subject: RE: Intall on Red Hat Linux
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 14:36:47 -0700 (PDT)

Jares, Timothy writes:
> OK.  I 'm convinced the RPMs are the way to go.  I've never used them before
> but after digging through the man pages went ahead and used the command
>
> rpm --  i -allfiles -vv swarmdemos-2_0_1-1_i386.rpm
>
> to install the demos,  swarm 2.0.1 source, etc as found on the swarm
> web-site at
>
> /pub/swarm/redhat/RPMS/i386
>
> Actually, in the end I used the above install command for each package
> available.  I then went to /usr/bin to run heatbugs as a test and it core
> dumped.

I wouldn't worry about this.  The swarmdemos should, in theory, run on
a machine without any of the swarm RPMS installed (as I understand
it) so if they crash and burn it does not reflect the stability of
the swarm installation.

A better test of your swarm distribution would be to download some of
the sample apps (like the tutorial, or the 2.0.1 source code for
heatbugs) and try compiling those.  If _that_ works, you'll know
you're good to go, regardless of the fact that the swarmdemos core
dump.

Cheers,

Jason