RE: Intall on Red Hat Linux

From: Jares, Timothy
Subject: RE: Intall on Red Hat Linux
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 17:21:00 -0400

OK.  I 'm convinced the RPMs are the way to go.  I've never used them before
but after digging through the man pages went ahead and used the command

rpm --  i -allfiles -vv swarmdemos-2_0_1-1_i386.rpm

to install the demos,  swarm 2.0.1 source, etc as found on the swarm
web-site at

/pub/swarm/redhat/RPMS/i386

Actually, in the end I used the above install command for each package
available.  I then went to /usr/bin to run heatbugs as a test and it core
dumped.  I figured it couldn't be that easy, but I really don't know what
else I am supposed to do.

I suspect  I didn't need all of the packages and could erase them if
necessary.  Should I be dealing with the SRPMS stuff?  If not, is there a
step - configure or make - that I am missing?  Ultimately, WHEN I get
heatbugs, etc. working, and I try to get my stuff to work again, where is
SWARMHOME?

I appreciate your patience --- mine is being tested a little right now!

Oh, I almost forgot.  I think my installation should be complete - I
selected install everything when I started.  I tried a version of the rpm
command you specified and found the types file in that directory.  The
command I used was:

$rpm -qf /usr/include/linux/types.h
kernel-headers-2.2.5-15

It does appear that maybe my version is slightly older/different, but I
don't know if that's a big deal.

Thanks!

Timothy E. Jares, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Finance