Re: Intall on Red Hat Linux

From: Paul E. Johnson
Subject: Re: Intall on Red Hat Linux
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 12:14:44 -0500

I admire your pioneer spirit and determination to build your own swarm.

But...

Alex has perfectly good RPMs on the SFI site, I think you should try to
install them.
They will tell you what RPMs you still need to install in  your system.
That's a big plus!
As I note below, I think your RedHat install may be incomplete.

"Jares, Timothy" wrote:

> Paul, thanks for the help.  However, I still seem to be stuck.  Let me try a
> few basic questions that might simplify this.  At this point, I just want to
> get my old stuff working on the new system.  Thus, I don't really care if I
> have Java support right now.  Can I, with minimal porting changes, take my
> old simulation and port to 2.0.1 without using Java?  I think from what I've
> read the answer is yes and I do that with the -disable-jar switch on the
> configure.  I'm assuming that later, when I want to get into the java stuff,
> I can add support at that time - probably along with a swarm upgrade.

You don't have to have Java support. If you don't want it, then your
configure statement should have --without-jdkdir in it. All the
disable-jar does is tell whether or not to combine/compress your Java
classes into a jar-ball (like a tarball, but from java land).
Otherwise, you are hosed because, if you system has kaffe installed, the
configure will find it, try to use it, and you won't compile swarm.

> Next, in your FAQ you refer to installing swarm in an "out of the way place"
> like /usr/local/swarm - mine is /usr/local/swarm-2.0.1.  Is there an
> "easier" place to put it?
If you make the prefix /usr/local, and you have /usr/local in your
/etc/ld/so.conf, then you don't have to worry about library paths.

 I tried './configure -with-defaultdir=/usr -disable-jar' and also added
> -enable-subdirs as you suggested.  Nevertheless, I still get

Looks like you only have one dash in there. These are options supposed
to have two dashes.  I realize most mail programs make it look like two
dashes are one, but if you cut and paste from the email to the xterm,
you will see it. Also,
Please just put --prefix whenever you configure. It helps to keep things
straight.

> *** No rule to make target '../defobj/types.h', needed by 'Array.lo'.
>
> as an error.

First, when you run configure again, it won't work unless you do "make
distclean" between tries.  It remembers your past mistakes unless you do
that.  Even though you told it /usr, it is still looking in /usr.

OK, looks like your system probably lacks some of the development rpms
that the configure script is looking for.  My first guess is you don't
have kernel-headers installed, because that is where I get
/usr/include/linux/types.h

$ rpm -qf linux/types.h
kernel-headers-2.2.5-22

The good thing about the RPM install is that it has built in abilities
to spot the RPMS you don't have and it will tell you about it.

--
Paul E. Johnson                         email: address@hidden
Dept. of Political Science              http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn