will investigate RedHat RPM problem

From: Paul E Johnson
Subject: will investigate RedHat RPM problem
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 16:52:08 -0600

Tom Wainwright wrote:
TW> OK, we've gone full circle now.  As I said earlier, I used the RPM
TW> because I can't get Swarm to build from source on my system
TW> (RedHat 7.0, gcc-2.96-69, glibc-2.2-12, Blackdown j2sdk1.3.0), so
TW> I guess it's time to deal with the build problem.

snip snip snip

Dear everybody:

I have been vacationing. For the first time ever, I left computing
behind for a whole 10 days!

I will try to build you a swarm rpm tonight, will announce here if I
succeed.  I think Marcus is right in saying that building Swarm on a
Linux system is pretty easy, but you must have a pretty good command of
all the different packages and/or configure options to make your dreams
come true.  If you want to keep at it, I will help you do it. The errors
you got indicate you might have hdf5 version mismatches.  You can
circumvent them with a configure option --without-hdf5dir (as I recall;
you type ./configure --help to see a list of all options and all with's
can have without instead).  If I get the same error tonight, it will say
we have some work to do. The problem I ran into before vacation is that
HDF 1.4 won't build on the current RedHat system.   I think it would be
great if you wanted to dig into the compatability problems with gcc,
redhat, hdf5, etc, but if you just want to let me look at it, I'll let
you know what you are up against. Recompiling gcc is a pretty big job...

If it does build for me, I can give you the spec file and you can build
your own rpm. If you do that once or twice, you can see its easy and you
can then build rpms for everybody.

In fact, if you will take the spec file from me, I could tell you how to
build an RPM for yourself and everybody else.  I think that's how I got
drafted into FAQ maintenance, so you are dangerously close to being a
volunteer.