Re: Building from source on RedHat 7 (was: Re: Java--Passing selector

From: Tom Wainwright
Subject: Re: Building from source on RedHat 7 (was: Re: Java--Passing selector arguments to EZGraph)
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 09:16:23 -0800

"Marcus G. Daniels" wrote:

> swarm_lookup_module is generated by gperf which in turn is generated
> by the modulemap elisp program.  My guess is you lack gperf -- there's
> an RPM for it.  To retry that without rebuilding everything go into
> src/defobj in the build directory and delete modulemap, modulemap.elc,
> modulemap.o, and modulemap.lo, as well as modulemap.c in src/defobj in
> the source directory.

Thanks to Marcus and Paul, I think I've got this licked.  Yes, I was
missing gperf, but no, that didn't solve the problem.  If that had been the
whole problem, make would have failed when it couldn't find gperf, instead
of the mystery error on 'swarm_lookup_module'.  In his latest email, Paul
suggested that I had failed to do a 'make distclean' between builds (for
shame, I'd never forget THAT (;>)}**).  Anyway, after installing gperf,
doing a make distclean, and running make again, I still got the
'swarm_lookup_module' error.  Curiouser and curiouser.  I then followed
Marcus' advice above, and hand-deleted the modulemap files (except .elc) in
src/defobj, and presto, the build worked.

My best guess is a Makefile bug--make distclean apparently doesn't remove
modulemap.c, which was leftover from some previous build (in the tarball).
Thus, gperf was never called, the modulemap was built from wrong info,
etc.  Don't know why the distributed modulemap.c doesn't work, but then I
don't understand what a modulemap is in the first place.

Thanks to both of you for your help!  --Tom

**fyi, that's the balding, bearded, wink.