Re: make distclean problem (was: Building from source on RedHat 7)

From: Tom Wainwright
Subject: Re: make distclean problem (was: Building from source on RedHat 7)
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 10:57:31 -0800

"Marcus G. Daniels" wrote:

> TW> Don't know why the distributed modulemap.c doesn't work, but then
> TW> I don't understand what a modulemap is in the first place.
>
> It looks intact to me, but there is probably a dependency wrong that
> caused regeneration.  For you, initially, modulemap.c generation failed
> because gperf wasn't there and then it was corrupted.  Since it is a
> part of the distribution, distclean didn't clear it out.

That may be what happened.  I still don't see how modulemap.c could have
been changed without gperf installed, though--that should have resulted in
a file-not-found error, not a corruption of modulemap.c.  Anyway, distclean
should in theory undo any changes that 'make' has made, so it should at
least restore modulemap.c to the original distributed version.  I don't
know automake well enough to suggest how this can be done, though, and I
seem to be the first to run into this, so its probably not worth the
effort.

Thanks again for your help!  --Tom