guix-devel

Re: An appeal to empathy on actual hurt caused by this thread

From: Taylan Kammer
Subject: Re: An appeal to empathy on actual hurt caused by this thread
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 23:24:35 +0100

Hi Christine & co.,

This will be my last mail on this topic.  It's addressed to everyone.

Thank you for putting so much time into your response.  I'm responding
late because I had too much anxiety to open my mail client, and it looks
like my gut feeling was not wrong.

I'm sad to say that I have to disagree with many aspects of your message,
and it seems we will simply have to leave it at disagreement.  If I were
to start enumerating all the things that I disagree with, we would be
right back at square one, and nobody wants that.

At the same time, I must provide some reasoning as to why I'm responding
in such a way after we've both put an enormous amount of effort into
building up empathy.  Of course, I will continue to have respect and
empathy for you as a person; it's just our perspectives on the matter at
hand that seem impossible to reconcile, and I will try to express why
I've come to that conclusion.

---

The way I've experienced this whole situation is as follows.

Despite my repeated attempts to focus on the principle of mutual respect
for different world-views, others seem mainly interested in trying to
explain why the world-view around sex-based discrimination is somehow
wrong and bad, and should not be respected.

At the same time, it was made very clear that, had I attempted to argue
against the notion that said view is wrong and bad, it would have been
seen as proof that I'm trying to argue for a wrong and bad view and
thereby hurt people in the community.

In essence, it comes down to "it's wrong, and it's not up for debate,
because it's wrong."

---

Let me clarify again that I understand and acknowledge that a debate on
the views themselves would be deeply hurtful.  That's why I've tried so
hard to avoid that, and asked what part of my mails gave the wrongful
impression that I even had any such intention.

And frankly, I find your answer to that somewhat convoluted.

Yes, I've mentioned in passing that I agree with radfem views.  That was
for the sake of transparency, as pretending to be a neutral third party
would have been manipulative.

I can see that I shouldn't have used the phrase "male-born people."
Something like "people who don't know what it's like being born with a
female body" might have been more appropriate, but I doubt that changing
that one part of that one email would have made that much a difference.
(There's also a point to be made about brevity but anyway.)

All in all, I've gotten the impression that the issue with my mails was
less that I've said something to invalidate trans experiences, and more
that I've dared to suggest that a view based on different experiences
should be respected equally.

Of course, if you look closer into said views based on other experiences,
you won't take long before finding claims that invalidate yours, but that
goes both ways.  Such are conflicting philosophies.  It's not different
with views on religion or politics.  Such is a pluralistic society.

---

Now one might ask, why am I so "fixated" on this topic, when clearly the
view I've offered is considered hostile.  If people feel *so* strongly
about those views being hurtful, why not just drop it?  It's very easy
to just paint me as "this weird guy obsessed with controversial views."

Well, I've tried to explain, but now that I think about it I might not
have been clear, as I was trying to avoid debate and keep my messages
brief.

I will touch on one specific thing, to serve as an example.

Morgan introduced the term "Trans Exclusionary Radical Feminist" (TERF)
and you've used it throughout your message...

By the way, Morgan, I'm sorry for not addressing you directly earlier,
it's just that I was trying to avoid debate on the subject matter itself
and your message seemed mainly like a debate starter.  Responding to
Christine, on the other hand, seemed urgently necessary.

But now I want to use the term "TERF" as a demonstration as to why I feel
so strongly about mutual respect for both views in this whole debacle,
insofar we want the Guix community to be inclusive to everyone who wants
to improve Guix.

---

I know feminists who, as part of being labeled as "TERF" and subsequent
treatment by "pro-trans" (in name only IMO) activists, have:

- Been forced out of their job (firing, or forced resignation)
- Had torrents of physical (and sexualized) threats sent their way
- Had their meetings disrupted by mobs of masked individuals
- Been straight up physically assaulted (resulting in charges)
- Had said assault be publicly celebrated on social media
- Have been followed by people shouting "I hope you get r*ped"

And more.  Vancouver Rape Relief and Women's Shelter had the words "Kill
TERFs" written on the windows of a building they used, and the carcass
of a rodent nailed on the door frame.  Vancouver Women's Library was met
with a group of vandals upon their opening, who wrote similar things on
their door and damaged books.

(I'm too tired for citation-collecting but feel free to ask me in private
and I'll provide you with everything.  Yes, all of this has happened.)

I also know, by the way, a female free software activist who has written
for the GNU Bulletin and spoken at LibrePlanet, who's a staunch supporter
of sex-based rights and has been hounded off some communities for these
views.  If she wanted to contribute to Guix, would she be welcome?

There was also a GNOME developer and lesbian rights activist who, after
dedicating herself to arguing this position in a no holds barred way (one
might say, the parallel to Liliana here), garnered so much hatred that
her death from brain cancer was celebrated in some circles.  Would she
have been welcomed in the Guix community?

The types of treatment described above are, plainly, dehumanization.  And
the usage of "TERF" often plays a role in it.  The first step is to make
sure that the people in question (women, mostly) are painted as people
whose views are not worth respecting, and from there it escalates towards
painting them as evil aggressors, all the way towards comparisons with
fascists, which is then used, in cruel irony, as justification for using
violence against them.

And of course, when the women in question become angry and sarcastic, or
even just have a single slip of judgment regarding their choice of words,
it's immediately seen as proof that they are indeed hateful.

I've avoided talking about these phenomena up so far, because they are
likely to be met with rationalizations, deflections, and so on, and
severely inflame debate.  Like I said, this is my last mail on the
subject, and I won't argue back; happy to elaborate off-list.

(I won't even read responses to the thread, respond off-list if you
want me to see it.)

So that's why I'm so "obsessed" with equal respect to the competing
views on sex and gender.  It's not clear at all to me that one side is
merely defending the reality of their lived experience, and the other
side trying to invalidate them; there's a *lot* more going on.

---

I won't bring up this topic again, but my overall opinion is unchanged.

This is not an inclusive or "safe for all" community by any measure if
words like "TERF" are going to be thrown around, and merely asking for
equal respect for conflicting views is met with such resistance.

Kindly, but also disappointed,

- Taylan