guix-devel

Re: An appeal to empathy on actual hurt caused by this thread

From: Ekaitz Zarraga
Subject: Re: An appeal to empathy on actual hurt caused by this thread
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2022 11:35:05 +0000

I'll just add my five cents here and leave the conversation:

> Reading over my mails, I just don't understand why they might have been
> misunderstood so badly. If you could shed some light on that, I would be
> very grateful! It would certainly help me avoid mistakes in the future,
> if I were to talk about these matters in a different place.

It's what happens when you over-rationalize other people's feelings or
you talk freely about some subjects people is not comfortable with.

You didn't take a good decision, you didn't evaluate it and you are still
surprised for what it happened. Don't think, feel instead, and you'll
understand.

The problem is not the tone or the content in my opinion, but the noise,
and (in purpose or not) you made a lot of it. This thread made people
feel uncomfortable and questioned, which might be right for conversations
you have with your friends or when there's a consent from both sides, but
this is a *software* project and you forced people to see messages they
probably didn't expect or they didn't want to read.

Even with that some had the courage to tell you to stop, and here we are
still...

What I don't understand is why is people surprised. This thread was born
to blow up since the very first message (and sadly, it's not the only one
this week).

Best,
Ekaitz