Re: free software supporters VS the GNU project

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: free software supporters VS the GNU project
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 01:16:17 +0100

Davi Leal <address@hidden> wrote: [...]
> When time come, maybe the communication process should be even more open, so
> more people could give opinions, as it has been done with the GPLv3 process.

I would not regard the GPLv3 process as more open than GNU Herds.

Although GNU Herds is using web application software under an awkward
licence, the GPLv3 process used a published-but-undocumented web
application called stet which was not AnyBrowser-accessible.

If FSF were using free software in the GPLv3 sense - you know, with
installation info - maybe stet would have been debugged by now and the
comment system would be a useful tool that was accessible-to-all and
generally useful for online consultations.  Instead, it's still an
"entirely preliminary, undocumented, unsupported release" which
requires an obsolete version of RT.

GNU Herds seems to be doing well, but it is early days yet.

Regards,