Re: Free Software criteria -- about "Software distributions"

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Free Software criteria -- about "Software distributions"
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 23:33:21 -0400

    Ok, I don't know the "current facts", but I personally don't agree in
    classifying Debian as Non-Free.
    Take a look at the DFSGs (Debian Free Software Guidelines): they're stricter
    even than FSF's statements. Consider, for example, that in Debian the GNU F=
    ree
    Documentation License is considered a non-free license (because it permits =
    the
    existence of "invariant sections") [1].

This is not virtue, it is a foolishness.  But that is not the reason
why we reject Debian.

Reason why we cannot recommend Debian is that its servers distribute
and recommend non-free programs.  They say that those non-free
programs are not "part of Debian", but being on the same server, they
MIGHT AS WELL be part of Debian for all practical purposes.