Re: Problems with `nnweb' mode

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Problems with `nnweb' mode
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 17:08:28 +0200

Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Rodolfo,

> thanks indeed for your efforts to solve the problem, but: since the
> discussion gets involved into technical and difficult matters, I
> newbie don't even know any more if it is worked out or not...  If it
> is, would you please provide newbie-understandable recipe of what to
> do?

Sure. It seems, that nnweb.el works. If you want to search for a message
with the message-id <foobar@barfoo.example> at google, go into your
*Group* buffer and type:

    `G w RET <foobar@barfoo.example> RET'

Then a new summary buffer with the found article will open.

To search at gmane you could write:

    `G w gmane RET <foobar@barfoo.example> RET'

BTW: You can search with any search string, not only message-ids. So if
you want to search for postings at google which are about blue roses
try:

    `G w RET blue roses RET'

My problem is that Gnus doesn't search with all select methods I
configured in my `gnus-refer-article-method' when I press RET on a
message-id.

,----[ C-h v gnus-refer-article-method RET ]
| gnus-refer-article-method is a variable defined in `gnus.el'.
| Its value is shown below.
|
| Documentation:
| Preferred method for fetching an article by Message-ID.
| If you are reading news from the local spool (with nnspool), fetching
| articles by Message-ID is painfully slow.  By setting this method to an
| nntp method, you might get acceptable results.
|
| The value of this variable must be a valid select method as discussed
| in the documentation of `gnus-select-method'.
|
| It can also be a list of select methods, as well as the special symbol
| `current', which means to use the current select method.  If it is a
| list, Gnus will try all the methods in the list until it finds a
| match.
|
| You can customize this variable.
|
| Value:
| (current
|  (nntp "newshost.uni-koblenz.de")
|  (nntp "news.gmane.org")
|  (nnweb "gmane"
|         (nnweb-type gmane))
|  (nnweb "google"
|         (nnweb-type google)))
`----

The docs tell me that Gnus will try all select methods until it finds
the searched message, but here it seems that Gnus stops after the first
(current), and return an empty message if it fails with it.

I'm not sure if it's a bug in my configuration or a bug in Gnus, but
I'll investigate a bit further.

Kind regards,
Tassilo
--
98% of us Americans are hard-working people. It's the other 2% that give
us a bad reputation. Then again, we did elect them.