Re: Problems with `nnweb' mode

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Problems with `nnweb' mode
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 18:04:29 +0200

Tassilo Horn <heimdall@uni-koblenz.de> writes:

Hi again!

I think last time I was a littlebit too fast with my answer. The filters
on tcpdump were too restrictive and so I missed some things. This time I
used ethereal and captured my network device (only TCP packets) when
pressing RET on a message-id, which I know I can get from google.

,----[ C-h v gnus-refer-article-method RET ]
| Its value is shown below.
|
| Value:
| (current
|  (nntp "newshost.uni-koblenz.de")
|  (nntp "news.gmane.org")
|  (nnweb "gmane"
|         (nnweb-type gmane))
|  (nnweb "google"
|         (nnweb-type google)))
`----

All servers contacted by this request were:

  - main.gmane.org      [HTTP]
  - news.uni-koblenz.de [NNTPS]
  - sea.gmane.org       [NNTP]

But where's google???

Unfortunately the *Messages* buffer states:

,----[ *Messages* ]
| Opening nntp server on newshost.uni-koblenz.de...done
| Opening nntp server on news.gmane.org...done
| Opening nnweb server on gmane...done
| Contacting host: gmane.org:80
| Generating summary...done
| Opening nntp server on newshost.uni-koblenz.de...done
| Opening nntp server on news.gmane.org...done
| Opening nnweb server on google...done
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| No matching articles
| No such article (may have expired or been canceled)
`----

Weird...

So I simplified my `gnus-refer-article-method', so that it only contains
current and gmane:

,----[ C-h v gnus-refer-article-method RET ]
| Its value is
| (current
|  (nnweb "google"
|         (nnweb-type google)))
`----

I still get an empty message into my summary buffer, so let's see what
*Messages* says:

,----[ *Messages* ]
| Contacting host: www.google.com:80
| Contacting host: groups.google.com:80
| Requested article not found
| Generating summary...done
| Fetched article <419g22duprrhohcfaf84srcl0bdrljsjnl@4ax.com>
| No such article (may have expired or been canceled)
`----

Wow, that's even more weird. How can it fetch the article, if the
article was not found (The m-id shown in *Messages* is the one I clicked
on)? And if it fetched the article, why isn't it displayed?

Any Ideas?

Regards,
Tassilo
--
A child of five could understand this! Fetch me a child of five!