Re: is monit just a pain in the arse or what ?

From: andrew taylor
Subject: Re: is monit just a pain in the arse or what ?
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 16:58:33 -0500

Scott Silva wrote:
andrew taylor spake the following on 7/27/2007 12:16 PM:

alex black wrote:

1) already RTFM

Apparently not, since I have a cluster of machines in denver which are
all maintenance free because of monit, and I'm running rails.

2) posted my monitrc

Only after someone who was _very_ polite didn't spank you and kindly
asked you to do so

3) make the daemon respond or get fired

They can fire you, you can't fire them - you didn't pay and it's their
mailing list.

Really, I'm quite tolerant on mailing lists because I know people tend
to "read the worst" into email, but your post was disrespectful and
you deserve much more abuse than you got.

Remember that in many circumstances, good suggestions (like the one
about clarifying the warnings for bad pid paths) can be lost if you
deliver them with language designed to antagonize.

good luck,

_alex

no one has yet to explain why a running monit daemon refuses to respond
to a "monit summary" request...

A firewall can block it.

yes it can, but this works some of the time, when it does not respond, it pauses and then tells me the daemon is not responding, usually if I restart monit, it's happy for a while, not sure now if it gets unhappy and refuses to respond now that I have fixed my pid path issue

thanks for all the great tips