Re: [Synaptic-devel] crashing problem and translation issues

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] crashing problem and translation issues
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 23:27:28 +0200

On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 08:37:08AM -0400, sashko wrote:
> >>I think your reminder if the list is out of date is a good idea, perhaps
> >>with a configuration option for how often to check.
> >I wrote some proof of concept code and put a screenshot online at:
> >http://people.debian.org/~mvo/synaptic/synaptic-pkglist-outdated.png
> what the version of Synaptic is this? Mine doesnt have such buttons
> (custom, section, find, status) just the drop-down box.

It's the upcoming version 0.55. I hope you like it! I think it's in
good shape already, I hope to release it soon. Testers of the current
svn code are welcome of course. I'm considering to put the log-file
feature in. I have some proof of concept code ready that is able to
log all of the package manager output (tested under debian so
far). But I wonder if it's usefull as the logfile may become pretty
large. OTOH it will be a optional feature anyway.

> >The problem is here, that all we know after the first stage is that
> >there is a updated package list available. We do not know yet if any
> >of the changes apply to one of the packages that are installed. So I'm
> >a bit unsure about it.
> that is OK, sometimes I got to know about some software available for
> linux from the "new in repository" list only... So I'd definitely like
> to know about all the updates on the servers. I believe the majority of
> users will not mind, if just leave the chance to get rid of this prompt
> forever.

Thanks for your opinion here. Getting rid of the message will be two
clicks ("Remember the answer" and then "close") :)

thanks,
 Michael

--
The first rule of holes is: when you find yourself in one, stop digging. - PJ