Re: [Synaptic-devel] crashing problem and translation issues

From: sashko
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] crashing problem and translation issues
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 08:37:08 -0400

on 10/21/04 07:07 Michael Vogt wrote:
On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 10:27:54AM +0100, Chris Miles wrote:

When I started with Synaptic I had not used apt and did not understand what was happening. I certainly did not want to start something that was going to make big changes without confirmation from me. How was I to know that "update" meant "update list of available packages and versions" rather than update my system?

I think your reminder if the list is out of date is a good idea, perhaps with a configuration option for how often to check.

I wrote some proof of concept code and put a screenshot online at:
http://people.debian.org/~mvo/synaptic/synaptic-pkglist-outdated.png
what the version of Synaptic is this? Mine doesnt have such buttons (custom, section, find, status) just the drop-down box.

The problem is here, that all we know after the first stage is that
there is a updated package list available. We do not know yet if any
of the changes apply to one of the packages that are installed. So I'm
a bit unsure about it.
that is OK, sometimes I got to know about some software available for linux from the "new in repository" list only... So I'd definitely like to know about all the updates on the servers. I believe the majority of users will not mind, if just leave the chance to get rid of this prompt forever.

regards,
--
sashko