Re: Renaming eglot -- or at least add an alias?

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Renaming eglot -- or at least add an alias?
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2022 07:32:06 +0200

On Sat, Oct 08, 2022 at 09:03:01AM +1100, Tim Cross wrote:

> Emanuel Berg <incal@dataswamp.org> writes:
>
> > Dmitry Gutov wrote:
> >
> >> Eglot: code completion, navigation, show method docs,
> >> calltips. TreeSitter: syntax highlighting, maybe indentation
> >> and imenu.
> >
> > Can't we have an "assistant" as well, like the one in MS Word?
> >
> >   It looks like you're writing a letter ...
> >
> > So here with Elisp it would be
> >
> >   It looks like you're implementing the Bubblesort algorithm.
> >   Beware that it performs poorly in real world use! But if you
> >   really want it, actually some dude on MELPA already has it
> >   <reference 69b06f306a5fc2b38e707bae3ff1e35db2b39b6b>
> >
> > Or would that be annoying you think?
>
> Personally, I'd find it annoying. However, it is pretty much what
> Github's co pilot does and many seem to love it.

[more good reasons]

What I miss here is the "big picture".

Programming is an eminently social activity. More so when it tries
to tackle big project.

What Microsoft is doing here (and succeeding at a horrifying speed)
is building a "social network" for programming, to feed on hacker's
behavioral surplus [1].

The acquisition of Github was just an especially successful move
in that direction; before, they acquired LinkedIn, for example.
They were desperately searching for a niche left over by Google,
Facebook and Twitter -- and they seem to have found it.

Copilot is just the next step (Chapter Ten "Make Them Dance")
described in Zuboff's book. Basically it is what Google
tried with Pokémon Go.

Cheers

[1] Shoshana Zuboff: "The Age of Surveillance  Capitalism"