Re: jinx

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: jinx
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2023 11:13:34 +0300

> From: Arash Esbati <arash@gnu.org>
> Cc: rms@gnu.org,  m.eliachevitch@posteo.de,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2023 09:42:40 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > I'm not sure I understand item c), though: when and why would one want
> > to spell-check macros and environments?
>
> Sorry, I meant to say arguments/bodies of macros/environments, not the
> name of macros and environments.

This is again not TeX-specific.  Similar issues exist in Texinfo and
in other markup languages.  The annoyance is usually minor: it's
enough to tell the speller to "accept" a word just once, since the
number of markup codes is usually very small.  But it would be nicer,
of course, if Emacs could automatically skip markup in each major
mode.

We should keep in mind that spell-checking technical text will
inevitably produce quite a few false positives, due to the jargon,
acronyms, file names, and other similar stuff.  I don't see how this
could be solved in principle without risking false negatives, which is
worse.