Re: jinx

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Re: jinx
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2023 13:29:44 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> This is again not TeX-specific.  Similar issues exist in Texinfo and
> in other markup languages.  The annoyance is usually minor: it's
> enough to tell the speller to "accept" a word just once, since the
> number of markup codes is usually very small.

I see your point, but I think Emacs could do better.

> But it would be nicer, of course, if Emacs could automatically skip
> markup in each major mode.

I second this: Emacs should skip markup in each major mode, and it is a
pity that the support for things like texinfo and/or org-mode is
somewhat poor.  This was my motivation to add a library to AUCTeX for
ispell and adjust most of it style files to use it.

> We should keep in mind that spell-checking technical text will
> inevitably produce quite a few false positives, due to the jargon,
> acronyms, file names, and other similar stuff.  I don't see how this
> could be solved in principle without risking false negatives, which is
> worse.

True.  OTOH, Emacs could skip the markup where we know it can be
ignored, take for example @file{filename}.  Currently, both ispell and
flyspell try to correct the filename argument.  Here a nonsensical
example how flyspell looks in texinfo-mode with Emacs -Q:

PNG image

So if I could make a wish, I'd like to see a general infrastructure
where one can do things like in `ispell-skip-region-alist', looking for
font-lock and all the other techniques lying around and ispell, flyspell
and others would use this infrastructure and not bake their own stuff.

Best, Arash