Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] How I started using Planner

From: Andreas Stemmer
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] How I started using Planner
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 15:19:39 +0100

Sacha Chua wrote:
Relax. You can use Planner gradually. <grin> This is probably the best
way to do things. It's easier to make gradual changes to one's way of
doing things, anyway... =)

That's my biggest problem. I always try to change my way of doing things radically, just to make it "perfect". Of course this never works, so I end up with changing nothing at all.

How do you currently plan your day, and how would you like to be able
to plan your day?

That's a good question and in fact, I don't really know. At the moment, I manage most of my tasks in mind only, but this gets more and more unreliable. Therefore I recently started to write todo-lists and notes in various text files on my computer. Most appointments are written down on post-its and fly around my desktop. Another problem is, that I misuse my inbox as todo-list, it gets cluttered with all kinds of emails I wanted to act upon sometime.

I know that I have to get a better organization if I want to be more productive, but I'm not sure about the "how". Originally, I only wanted to have a good system of taking notes and finding them again. I searched for good solutions and found planner.el as one of many possibilities. Then somehow, one thing led to another. I noticed that a good method of keeping todo lists could improve my efficeny at work and at home.

Originally, I didn't like the idea of using emacs as mail client at all. But after more investigation and reading reports from people like you, I see that there's a great advantage to have all the important tools together (for linking and ease of use).

So don't worry, you don't have to start with a really funky Planner
config. Use whatever you feel like using. Feel free to ask questions.
If something is missing, we'll try to see if we can hack it in. =)

You're so right. I'll start using planner on a very basic level and extend it from time to time. Thank you for this enlighting mail.

Andreas