Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: How I started using Planner

From: Andreas Stemmer
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: How I started using Planner
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 11:02:56 +0100

Hallo Sacha,

thank you very much for your help. After browsing your web page and reading how active you are on this list, I'm very sure that you know a lot about planning and effective working ;-)

Sacha Chua wrote:
Amen! I used to use my inbox as a TODO list before, but I kept
swinging between losing mail and having an overwhelming number of
messages. Planner's mail-linking feature went a very long way to
making my mail-related tasks manageable.

The biggest problem is that you have to read the overwhelming number of messages again and again before you actually work on them.

Mail-linking depends on using emacs as mail client, right? So for now I'll keep switching applications and create appropriate tasks in planner by hand until I'm ready for the next step.

Okay, let's get you started with the basic stuff, then. Have you
gotten planner up and running? This might be help you get started.
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/PlannerModeQuickStart .

Yes planner is running already and I started taking some notes and setting up some tasks last week.

Here's a possible plan:

- Set up remember to save notes to your planner pages. See comments in
  remember-planner.el . Play around with this. Get used to saving
  stuff to it -- random notes, whatever.

Ok, this would have been my second step anyway, good to know you recommend it, too.

- Enjoy it for a while.

I'll do my best...

- Get the hang of using planner-create-task-from-buffer (I have this
  bound to F9 t SPC because I use it so much). For best results, make
  sure you call (plan) every day. I have it at the end of my ~/.emacs
  and I always start up Emacs, so...

A little bit OT, but is there an easy way to find out which keys are already bound to a certain function? Of course I can press them and see what happens or use M-? C-k, but it would be easier to have some kind of overview.

Hmmm. Work/home... Anyone have tips for that?

No problem for me at the moment since I use planner on my work pc only at the moment and it doesn't matter it there are work and private tasks mixed. But it could become a tricky problem someday...

Once again, thank you for your help Sacha.

Andreas