Re: [glob2-devel] To Erik: My Profiling Information

From: Erik Søe Sørensen
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] To Erik: My Profiling Information
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 18:07:38 +0200

Leo Wandersleb skrev:

Those are the new results. Much different. Perlin and clouds seem to dominate?

doh! that's me.
the perlin class is copied as is. i should have noted the origin as legal stuff
should not be taken that easily as i might have taken it back then.
yes i checked the license but maybe should do so again as i derived my "we can use it" from some
facts that were not "you may use it for any purpose free of charge " etc. but rather some "why
don't you do it that way: myPerlin.cpp"

Principally I am able to make up my own Perlin class from what i remember from
my math-studies and yes it would be possible to do in in integer. Maybe time
allows.

Here's to hoping :-)
But, what we need now, then, is any cloud-generator whatever (free to use, preferably fast)?

I must admit that I was a bit disappointed when I saw the clouds turned on... especially given how much they cost :-) They seem to be just blur, like turning the fertility map on. I think this is because only one color tone is used, with varying alpha (is this right?). Some light-and-shadowing might help - using greyscale tones to give the impression of a nice, fluffy sun-lit cloud.

The following images illustrate what I mean; this is a processed plasma map, and the process should be usable within the game.

http://www.daimi.au.dk/~eriksoe/misc/cloud1.png
http://www.daimi.au.dk/~eriksoe/misc/cloud2-glob2.png

/Erik