Re: [glob2-devel] To Erik: My Profiling Information

From: Leo Wandersleb
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] To Erik: My Profiling Information
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 22:52:43 +0200

Erik Søe Sørensen wrote:
Here's to hoping :-)
But, what we need now, then, is any cloud-generator whatever (free to use, preferably fast)?

I must admit that I was a bit disappointed when I saw the clouds turned on... especially given how much they cost :-) They seem to be just blur, like turning the fertility map on. I think this is because only one color tone is used, with varying alpha (is this right?).

:(
yes it is. to get nice structured clouds i guess the only option is to use prerendered ones like we had before.

i thought perlin was the answer to get really dynamic clouds and was frustrated when i saw how expensive it was. perlin clouds like in your screen shot would need a far finer scale of structures. now we render blocks of 32x32 pixels i guess but still you can see steps some times (what is due to some bug maybe).

i did maths so i would have plenty of ideas to make the clouds prettier and more structured but it gets too expensive even now.

(a=f(x,y,t), r=g=b=sin(t)*df/dx+cos(t)*df/dy+128 to get clouds lit from a wandering sun. as nobody knows how shadows are drawn on a torus with a sun, this should maybe not be done using sin/cos ;)

http://www.daimi.au.dk/~eriksoe/misc/cloud1.png
http://www.daimi.au.dk/~eriksoe/misc/cloud2-glob2.png

these pix are about what you would get when choosing finer grain perlin noise.

greetings, leo wandersleb