Re: [glob2-devel] To Erik: My Profiling Information

From: Erik Søe Sørensen
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] To Erik: My Profiling Information
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 01:50:26 +0200

Kieran P skrev:

Hey Erik,

I saw your changes in the source code. Nice that you are submitting it now :D

You mean instead of posting patches?
Well, now that I have repository access I might as well do something serious... Running valgrind today paid off, I think - one significant (i.e. memory-corrupting) bug and one memory leak (0.4MB leaked in a relatively short run) found & fixed :-)

I ran another test (cloned, compiled, run, won, quit, and run the two codes (one with -q and one without).

Results: http://dl.sv.nongnu.org/releases/glob2/profiling.tar.bz2

I'll do this every day or two when you make commits if you want.

I have another Linux virtualisation (Fedora), which I will also run these tests on at some stage.

Well, thank you for the effort, but I'm not sure these virtualized timings say much. They won't correspond to running the game on a machine's 'real' OS... the virtualization software influences the measurements.

And in your timings, the three most dominant (by far) functions are:

29.70% GAGCore::DrawableSurface::drawSurface(int, int, GAGCore::DrawableSurface*, int, int, int, int, unsigned char) 17.85% GAGCore::DrawableSurface::drawFilledRect(int, int, int, int, GAGCore::Color const&)
15.60% GAGCore::Sprite::getW(int)

- i.e. two drawing operations, which I doubt we could do anything to optimize, and this mysterious getW, which may be an artefact of the virtualization (I have no clue why else it shows up so prominently in your data)...

/Erik