Re: [glob2-devel] To Erik: My Profiling Information

From: Stéphane Magnenat
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] To Erik: My Profiling Information
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2007 14:01:19 +0200

> Hm, we'd better call that 'inconclusive'.
> The time spent in Sprite::getW increased to 11%, but the total run time
> seems to have decreased by 3 seconds.
> That so much time is spent there is probably a cache thing - getW is the
> first thing done to a sprite image when we're about to draw it, so that
> is the point where the image is loaded into the cache.
> I assume your platform is quite different from mine, since your numbers
> are so different; or perhaps we are talking about a high-resolution
> screen as well? (showing more squares at a time) :-)

Running glob2 with GL leads to a low CPU usage, so I don't think that
concretely Sprite::getW is much of an issue.
I think that maintaining a coherent architecture for libgag from a software
design point of view is more important than some minor speed optimization.
Anyway, if you think that changing this is important, it would be better to
fully de-virtualize Sprite. In this process, we could also remove the ifdef
for the DXBackend because it does not exists.

Have a nice day,

Steph

--
http://stephane.magnenat.net