Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] facism gaining ground in US

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] facism gaining ground in US
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 14:10:53 +0900

>>>>> "nadim" == nadim  <address@hidden> writes:

    nadim> What the fuck do you know about how I feel?

I read what you write, and match it up to the kinds of feelings I, and
others whose feelings I can reliably estimate, have when using those
kinds of words.  That's all.

I guess it's not valid to assume that I can reliably relate your words
to what you actually think and feel, and I apologize for making that
assumption.[1]  Should I think of them as "art" or "poetry", intended
to evoke the appropriate response from others, rather than to
communicate ideas in a predefined way?  Or is there a better metaphor?
Or are your words precise, but linked to ideas and emotions in a way I
haven't experienced yet?

I don't really know how to interact about politics under any of those
conditions ... I guess it will be a learning experience.

Cheers!

Footnotes:
[1]  Maybe I should have known better.  Japanese have the notions of
tatemae (mask) and hon'ne (true feelings), but these are quite easily
recognizable for me now.  Tatemae is the conventional statement that
means "ask me again and I'll tell you the same", while hon'ne is
individual and responsive, although sometimes not truthful, and always
context-sensitive.