Re: Install Concept

From: Praveen A
Subject: Re: Install Concept
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 14:56:51 +0530

2006/2/8, Trevor Vallender <address@hidden>:

Finally, I don't know how you feel about graphical installers (obviously
with an option to go text-based, sorry if you've already discussed
this), but Fedora (and BLAG, a 100% free distro based on it) use a great
graphical installer called Anaconda. Information and screenshots
available at
http://fedora.redhat.com/About/Projects/anaconda-installer/ . IMHO it's
the easiest installer I've used. I think Ubuntu was also making an
attempt to move over to a graphical installer for the next release,
though I'm not sure what they plan on using.

Progeny ( http://www.progeny.com/ , based on Debain - started by debina founder Ian Murdock) also uses Anaconda (They ported Anaconda for Debian).

Next versions of Debian will have graphical installer. Some details here http://lwn.net/Articles/161786/
and here http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=05/11/17/1825228

Also there is a wiki http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstallerGUI

Some screenshots of the graphical installer here.
http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/slideshow.php?release=486&slide=1

Regards
Praveen (aka j4v4m4n)

--
            "GNU is the system, and Linux is the  kernel."
A proud GNU user http://www.gnu.org