Re: Install Concept

From: Alfred M\. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Install Concept
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 12:16:05 +0100

   The real question is how will the gnu packages look like. If the
   stowfs is the choice, then the packages would most probably be some
   kind of tarballs (or as in .deb, ar archive with .targz data and
   targz metadata). It is not too hard to create something that would
   build & install such packages, but the package structure should be
   determined first. At least I would say so...

GNU Packages will be flat tarballs.  What kind of meta-data is still
to be decided.  The whole infrastructure to build the whole GNU system
is also done (it is a bit awkward to build it right now so it spits
out a tarball/iso image, but a voluenteer wanted to fix that, but I
haven't heard anything from him yet, so maybe I'll do it over the
weekend).

In either case, I don't think there will be much extracting of
packages when on installs GNU, since the plan is to have a LiveCD
which will simply copy itself over to the target when installing.  So
much of the installer can be done without any knowledge about the
actual packages.

Alas, we must fix stowfs so that it can be used on boot.  Gianluca is
right now busy with other things, so unless someone pops up and wants
to do that, I'll try to fix it so that it works this weekend.

Cheers.