Re: [Nel] NeL Network Engine

From: Vincent Caron
Subject: Re: [Nel] NeL Network Engine
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 15:30:32 +0100

Vianney Lecroart wrote:

> What we don't know is the thread number limit after what the system uses too
> much CPU. In the linuxthread faq, they
> said that an application should not create more than 100 thread. In this
> case, we have to forget the solution where each
> socket is on a thread and use a blocked receive(). The problem is that
> select() is quite slow and if we have only 100 thread,
> each thread needs to manage, with a select(), around 50 players and we ll
> lost lot of time to create the array for the select()
> and check who have wakeup the select().

Looking at Apache or Samba projects, it seems that a good compromise is to
set a 'maximum client requests by thread' and spawns threads accordingly.
Apache uses process forking and memory sharing, but the design remains the
same. You then just tune this max_request_by_thread for each OS, say 1 for
Solaris which is said thread-efficient, 10 for Linux ? Just a hint ...