Re: [Nel] NeL Network Engine

From: Vianney Lecroart
Subject: Re: [Nel] NeL Network Engine
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 10:07:19 +0100

Hello,

In fact, we don't want to know the theorical limit. we know that we can
change this value in the kernel sources and recompile it.

What we don't know is the thread number limit after what the system uses too
much CPU. In the linuxthread faq, they
said that an application should not create more than 100 thread. In this
case, we have to forget the solution where each
socket is on a thread and use a blocked receive(). The problem is that
select() is quite slow and if we have only 100 thread,
each thread needs to manage, with a select(), around 50 players and we ll
lost lot of time to create the array for the select()
and check who have wakeup the select().

Vianney Lecroart
---
lead network programmer / nevrax.com
icq#: 6870415
homepage: http://ace.planet-d.net
www.geekcode.com: GCS/E d- s+++: a-- C+++$ UL++ P- L+++>+$ E+>- W++ N+ o? K-
w++$ O- M- V- PS- PE? Y PGP t 5? X+ R- tv++ b- DI D+ G e++ h+ r-- y?