netpanzer-devel

Re: [netPanzer-Devel] Plans

From: Stephane Marchesin
Subject: Re: [netPanzer-Devel] Plans
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 18:28:42 +0200

Matze Braun wrote:

Btw, I also have some asm knowledge so I can rewrite things like rdtsc... (looking at the code, it seems that SDL_GetTicks() isn't accurate enough but it could be used as a fallback for portability...).

I think we should avoid all assembly. This stuff is always a portability problem. I can't see any reason why millisecond accuracy isn't be enough... I think we should analyze all the assembler routines and substitute them with C++ code or SDL calls.

SDL_GetTicks doesn't always have millisecond accuracy, it's platform-dependent, while TIMESTAMP is used to label all events, especially network ones which require high precision.

I was thinking about using SDL_GetTicks as a fallback anyway :

#ifdef HAVE_RDTSC
RDTSC()
#else
SDL_GetTicks()