Re: Level comment management tool

From: Jarno Elonen
Subject: Re: Level comment management tool
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 11:38:52 +0300

> The question is wheter there's such a site which offers us PHP support
> on the server.

Seul.org apparently does since http://www.seul.org/index.php works.
Could someone ask them if they also have ImageMagick installed? The level
viewer needs it for rotating the layers.

> Well, that just showed me that my concern regarding graphics was right.
> It was surely impressive to see the level render itself slowly, first
> the background, then the image placeholders, finally unfolding into the
> full view. Since I've not that slow a connection, it would be wise to
> use at least much smaller graphics, probably only a thumbnail for
> overview and a larger one in the level view.

Actually, while the level is rather wide and tall, the combined data size of
the HTML page and the image layers is just about 150 KB. Also, the savings
are relatively better for larger levels because they typically use the same
elements extensively and the browser only has to load an image once after
which it's in the cache. That fact that the level shows up slowly is more due
to slow xml processing than download time. Caching the resulting HTML or
writing custom XML parsing routines instead of using PHPXpath would speed the
viewer up.

Unfortunately, this technique can't currently produce thumbnails. It's not
utterly impossible though, so I'll probably look into it in the near future.

- Jarno