Re: Level comment management tool

From: Ingo Ruhnke
Subject: Re: Level comment management tool
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 20:09:16 +0200

David Philippi <address@hidden> writes:

> I guess that would have to be more then a simple button, a
> configuration field where one can enter how to start ones favorite
> browser would also be required.

No, nobody would configure it anyway, so it would not be needed. As
long at it launches any browser that would be enough. Under Windows
there should be ways to launch the default browser under GNU/Linux a:

for i in $BROWSER mozilla galeon konqueror netscape ...; do
 $i $URL
done

should do

> I'd suggest to settle for making it obvious on the webpage, mention
> it in the announcment for 0.6.1 and add a button "How can I help"
> which lists commenting levels as one thing that the average user can
> do to further the development of Pingus.

The real interesting thing would be to turn all this into more than
just a simple 'comment the existing levels' tool, but instead making
it a dynamic repository for levels where people can submit new levels
easily. After all rating the existing levels is not really that
important.

BTW. If we would change the file extension from Pingus levels from
.xml to .plf (or something else) the user could associate Pingus with
that file extension, which in turn would allow him to start levels
with a single click from within the webbrowser, could be handy.

Games:    http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/gamedesigns/
JabberID: address@hidden
ICQ:      59461927