Re: Free Software criteria -- about "Software distributions"

From: Davi Leal
Subject: Re: Free Software criteria -- about "Software distributions"
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 00:15:26 +0200

David Paleino wrote:
> > with the current facts "Debian GNU/Linux" is Non-Free
>
> I don't know the "current facts", but I personally don't agree in
> classifying Debian as Non-Free.

The facts which we currently know are:

 * Debian GNU/linux contains non-free software BLOBs in
   the Linux kernel, like Ubuntu.

 * The Debian organization works to provide easy access to
   non-free software.

The Debian organization offers the download of non-free software packages
(non-free) in the same http/ftp servers than the free software one (main).

> If you refer to the non-free repositories, they're not part of the official
> Debian distribution, they exist just as a favour to users which use
> non-free software.

As a favour?  That is a clear promotion of non-free software!  Debian is
_working to_ provide easy access to non-free software.

  "stressing free software freedoms for their own sake, one learns
   how to lose those freedoms."

Davi