Re: Free Software criteria -- about "Software distributions"

From: David Paleino
Subject: Re: Free Software criteria -- about "Software distributions"
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 00:18:41 +0200

Il giorno Tue, 2 Oct 2007 00:15:26 +0200
Davi Leal <address@hidden> ha scritto:

> David Paleino wrote:
> > > with the current facts "Debian GNU/Linux" is Non-Free
> >
> > I don't know the "current facts", but I personally don't agree in
> > classifying Debian as Non-Free.
>
> The facts which we currently know are:
>
>  * Debian GNU/linux contains non-free software BLOBs in
>    the Linux kernel, like Ubuntu.

There is people who is working on it. If you use this as a criterion, every
GNU/Linux distribution is non-free. It's a Linux kernel problem.

>  * The Debian organization works to provide easy access to
>    non-free software.

Not true.

> The Debian organization offers the download of non-free software packages
> (non-free) in the same http/ftp servers than the free software one (main).

Wrong.
The default repositories exclude both contrib (free software which depends on
non-free software) and non-free (non-free software).

Then the user must _MANUALLY_ add them. It's not promotion of non-free software.

> > If you refer to the non-free repositories, they're not part of the official
> > Debian distribution, they exist just as a favour to users which use
> > non-free software.
>
> As a favour?  That is a clear promotion of non-free software!  Debian is
> _working to_ provide easy access to non-free software.

Again, not true. Read the links I posted in my last mail.

> Davi

Kindly,
David

--