Re: browsers' support -- proposed test policy

From: Davi Leal
Subject: Re: browsers' support -- proposed test policy
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 11:42:01 +0200

Antenore Gatta wrote:
> We should have a testing team :-( to consider all the browsers...
> But I think that we should consider the latest browser's development trunk.

> So I think that we should test the latest prod (stable) versions, the
> latest development, amaya for w3c compliance, Lynx for geek/scripting
> purpose.
>
> And maybe the previous prod release (ie Firefox 1.0)

Ideally we should test with every browser known.  We should work based on
priorities.

Anyway, if you have the browser installed it is actually easy to test due to
we are not using JavaScript anymore.  Testing JavaScript for browser support
is a lot of work!

> As we are still in beta stage, I propose to add a link at the bottom
> of the page like:
>
> "Are you experiencing a problem displaying this page with your browser?"

If the render is too much bad, maybe the user can not read such line. Or if he
can, he is not interested on scroll the page to read it.

> Just I don't know if it's better to forward the visitor to the mailing
> list or to a form to be filled with the issues...

If the page does not render well maybe the form will not render too. Filling a
form in a webpage which is not rightly rendered suck!. If we add such message
we should just point to the dev email list.

However, from my experience, people never report that a webpage does not
render well.  Only if you are talking directly with him, he can give you some
feedback, but if he is just browsing he will not report anything.

Therefore,  my vote is not to add such line. Just test it ourselves.  If you
have all the browsers installed on your system it is actually easy. Now, that
we do not need check every JavaScript page, just checking layout and forms
are right.