Re: Renaming eglot -- or at least add an alias?

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Renaming eglot -- or at least add an alias?
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2022 15:34:25 +0300

Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2022 15:03:36 +0300
Cc: rms@gnu.org, ams@gnu.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
From: Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>

IMHO that can be the best goal for the menu bar. But you might have a
different understanding of its role.
Something to revisit at a later date, I think.  Too many things are
still in flux: Eglot, tree-sitter...  The functionalities overlap, and
at least I personally don't yet have a clear idea of how to make the
best "mix".

IIUC tree-sitter will be used by specific major modes that implement the
integration. Some will just do that from the outset, and some might have
user options to toggle.

Yes, so take python-mode as an example.  It has both tree-sitter
support and Eglot support.  How to use both? does it even make sense?

Sure.

Eglot: code completion, navigation, show method docs, calltips.
TreeSitter: syntax highlighting, maybe indentation and imenu.

So TreeSitter can help improve the "classic" features of major modes, but not build code intelligence on top, because it only works with individual files, just like existing major modes and their regexp based parsers (in font-lock, etc).

But if those options are featured in the menu bar, they probably will be
in the major mode's menu, not inside Tools.

For Eglot, probably.  For tree-sitter, I don't know yet.

Above, I was talking solely about tree-sitter.

If we have
enough modes with tree-sitter support, it might make sense to allow it
globally.

I think the issue is going to be how well each mode integrates with tree-sitter. Those that do it well, can enable it by default right away. Those that don't will have different problems.

So it's not like we'll be able to decide that we're fine with a certain class of limitations, so let's enable it wholesale.

And there will always remain major modes that don't have tree-sitter integration.