Re: Renaming eglot -- or at least add an alias?

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: Renaming eglot -- or at least add an alias?
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2022 09:03:01 +1100

Emanuel Berg <incal@dataswamp.org> writes:

> Dmitry Gutov wrote:
>
>> Eglot: code completion, navigation, show method docs,
>> calltips. TreeSitter: syntax highlighting, maybe indentation
>> and imenu.
>
> Can't we have an "assistant" as well, like the one in MS Word?
>
>   It looks like you're writing a letter ...
>
> So here with Elisp it would be
>
>   It looks like you're implementing the Bubblesort algorithm.
>   Beware that it performs poorly in real world use! But if you
>   really want it, actually some dude on MELPA already has it
>   <reference 69b06f306a5fc2b38e707bae3ff1e35db2b39b6b>
>
> Or would that be annoying you think?

Personally, I'd find it annoying. However, it is pretty much what
Github's co pilot does and many seem to love it.

I'm an old dog who probably has trouble with 'new tricks'. However, I
hate seeing the current state of much of the development I see where
programs seem to be nothing more than cobbled together cut n paste from
various web forums like stack overflow, github, reddit etc with very
little sign/clarity regarding design or the algorithms being used. To
often, I see people tracking down bugs by using a debugger and slowly
stepping through the code wathing variables rather than actually reading
and getting to udnerstand it (probably because it is just a jumble of
cut n paste). An assistant who just jumps in and proposes code is likely
to reduce understanding rather than increase it.

On the other hand, anything which makes it easier for non-programmers to
program is probably well aligned with the goals of the FSF
i.e. empowering users rather than making them dependent on members of
the secret programming guild!