Re: Renaming eglot -- or at least add an alias?

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Renaming eglot -- or at least add an alias?
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2022 14:38:34 +0300

Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2022 13:12:03 +0300
Cc: ams@gnu.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
From: Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>

On 07.10.2022 09:34, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
We can (and will) make it easier for
users to understand what its features do, by labeling the menus and
describing in the doc strings and help-echo strings what the commands
and variables really do and what effect they have on Emacs.

Indeed we'll probably get the most bang for the buck by adding a menu
entry or two which could say something like

    Language Servers -> Connect
    Language Servers -> Shutdown

without renaming the package or its commands.

Yes, something like that.

Bonus points for adding some relatively-thin layer which would allow
Eglot to be just one "backend" for language servers' services, so that
users could use others.  But that may be too much for Emacs 29.1.

One or two hooks, shouldn't be hard. But there's no hurry indeed.

We could put them alongside EDE's and Semantic's menu entries. Or maybe
instead, given that EDE is not the recommended choice for "Project
Support" anymore, and we don't usually recommend Semantic to new users
either.

Or we could make the EDE/Semantic menus have a sub-menu, whereby the
user could select which kind of "support" they want.

That depends on whether we want the menus to present an "intro" to Emacs functionality that doesn't require much reading to pick the right choice.

IMHO that can be the best goal for the menu bar. But you might have a different understanding of its role.